Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sticky

I spent most of today with roughly 18 sticky notes on my desk.

Sometimes I removed one.

Sometimes I removed several.

But, invariably, I always added a few others shortly after.

It seems that I have roughly 10 long-term tasks that I want to accomplish at work, not counting grand visions, plus an additional 10 or so short term, immediate need, must-get-done-as-soon-as-possible tasks.  I'm reminded that the human brain can only contain roughly seven things at once, and this makes me glad for the inventions of paper, adhesives, and the stroke of brilliance that combined the two.

So, anyway, things are moving along at work.  They're not absurdly busy yet.  Yet.  We'll see how tomorrow goes.  I'm expecting to remove many of those sticky notes tomorrow - it's just a matter of when, and how satisfied I am with the result.

I was at work until around 6:30 PM - Hillary and I left at the same time (I think we were basically the last ones there) and took the T back to Porter, me towards home, she towards the salon.  Upon arrival, I had some cheese, crackers, and Corona (the three C's), and proceeded to yawn like crazy until I convinced myself to pick up a guitar and do something with it.  Luckily, doing something with it involved playing it.  I love my acoustic.  It's just effin' beautiful.  It's got such a gorgeous sound.  Definitely a good purchase.

After an hour of guitaring or so, I decided to check out OmniFocus.  After downloading a trial of it, I proceeded to add stuff.  I apparently have, off the top of my head, sixty-nine things to do, not counting work.  No wonder I can't get anything done - I'm carrying all this shit around, worrying about it all.  Anyway, we'll see how this thing works as an organizational tool.  So far it seems pretty well done, though I don't know that I really need some of the more advanced features.  All I need is some text that I can shuffle around and label.  Softwaric sticky notes.

Seriously, I'm liking this task stuff.  It's all I talk about lately.  It's like I have high hopes for my own ability to make use of an organization system to improve my life.  Looking at my wall, I see something I wrote perhaps two years ago (a note affixed to the sheetrock with a push pin): This requires a systemic change in the way I manage life.  After all this time, I've some cautious hope that I might be able to say I accomplished that one.

No comments: