Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

A play about women and men. Five lessons in humility.

I think I managed to write a whole half hour of code today.  It was like a swarm of little mini tasks and problems conspired to buzz around my head all day.  I never even had a chance - the code happened in spare moments somewhere in between all the other stuff that was going on, as opposed to the other way around.

Geeze.  Marty, Hillary, and I stumbled out of the building around 6:30 PM after everyone else had gone.  Happy birthday, you two.  (Don't get to say that very often!)  I went home speedily, as we were planning to go out to Sudbury to see a play Dave FR was in (Princess Ida).  The show started at 8:00 PM.  On my way, I got a phone call from Mike.

"Hey, are you giving me a ride tonight?" he asked.

"Oh!  Uhh, yeah, sure!  I can," I responded, not having realized he was going.

"Cool," he stated.

"Do you know where we're going, cause I don't."

"Yeah."

"Okay," I said, "I was originally going to carpool with Jason and Kat, but if you know how to get there we can just go from here.  Let me give him a call and let him know, and I'll call you back."

"Okay."

So I called Jason to confirm that the play was at their old high school in Sudbury.  He said he was pretty sure it was.  I said, okay, and told him I'd just drive there with Mike to navigate."

Then I called Mike back.

"Hey, you know the way to your high school, right?"  It seemed an innocent question.

"Uhh, yeah?" he said, confused, "Aren't we going to Dave FR's house?"

"Uhh, no?"

"... What are we doing tonight?"

"We're going to see a play!" I exclaimed.

"... Oh!  I thought we were going to play Magic!"

It being that he had no other evening plans, he came with me to the play, which was great.  They had a good cast.  Dave FR as well as our friend Graham were both in it.  She was playing some maiden person.  He was playing one of the three sons of... King Gama, I think?  Good times.

After the play, Jason and I went over to the "Halfway Cafe" somewhere around Sudbury for a few bee-ahs and some nachos.  Kat and Mike went home cause they like sleep.  More good times ensued.

Following that, Jason and I drove back to his place, chatted about women and relationships on the way.  Once there, I spent an hour or two playing Starcraft II.  I lost a total of five times.  I never won.  Every time, I lost in some new, unique way.  First I died to Mutas.  Then I died to a rush of stupid cliff-jumping Terran dudes.  Then I died to Battlecruisers (that was the only even remotely close game).  Then I tried a 2v2, and we died to a dumb, combined rush.  Finally, in my last, epic battle, I died to a zergling rush in the first 5 minutes.

Laaaaaaaaaaamesauce.

And now, head hanging in shame, I'm going to go back to the drawing board and play the original Starcraft or something so that I can have a chance of not sucking by the time this game comes out or I, at least, get into the beta with my Mac.

Ooof.

No comments: