Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Wondrous work, Crappy Class, Delicious Dining

The title sums up the day.  I got into work early today so that I could make sure that all the tasks, estimates, spreadsheets, and graphs for our current project were up to date and accurate.  It took a little while, but in the end, I got a clear picture of how far along we are, and it feels great.  I'm much more comfortable with the project knowing that all known tasks are accounted for on the board, the burn-down chart is accurate, and I'm prepared to update it all properly the next day.

Yay!

Following all that administration work, I got in quite a few great hours of working on "branding kits".  I'm starting to feel pretty good about them, and I expect to be able to finish them up sometime this week, hopefully before anyone needs them.  I have an e-mail I need to send to the customer - maybe I can get in early tomorrow and send that off.

For lunch was some excellent Tofu Yellow Curry from The Similans (Brown Sugar Cafe) near Cambridgeside Galleria.  I saved half of it and ate it at 6:00 PM or so.  That was an excellent idea - I felt like I had actually eaten an appropriate amount of lunch (as opposed to just being... full.).  Yarm.

I stayed at work until approximately 7:00 PM.  I didn't have a Jazz Theory class tonight, so I had nothing to do until 7:30 PM.  Thus, more awesome branding kit work.  At 7:00 I left work and took the Red Line into Park, then the Green Line (E) out to Symphony, as I do every Monday.  I arrived outside class at 7:32 PM, and had apparently walked right by our dear teacher, Rani, on my way into the building.  He was wearing a hat and ear warmers and I didn't even recognize him.

Class was difficult for me tonight - crappy because my brain wasn't working, not because of anything anyone else did.  I just couldn't wrap myself around hearing intervals properly.  By the end of it, I was starting to get back into a groove, and I'm grateful to Rani for going easy on me when he was going around the class.  I think he could tell I was frustrated tonight.  After class (which is an hour), I decided to walk to Prudential instead of taking the train from Symphony.  It was a beautiful night, so it seemed a lovely idea.

A few minutes away from the building, my housemate Eric gave me a call and asked if I wanted to go get something to eat at Christopher's in Porter.  I had had the second half of my lunch earlier in the evening (see paragraph re: Yellow Curry, above!), but agreed to go anyway.  I couldn't turn down good company and Christopher's; it's just not possible.

Amazingly, we arrived at Christopher's within about a minute of each other.  In the time that it took Eric to drive home and walk to Porter from the apartment, I had walked to Prudential from Symphony, gotten on the Green Line to Park, and taken the Red Line out to Porter,  Apparently he had a long drive; either that or the trains were fast.  Dunno!

We had a nice set of appetizers at Christopher's.  We ordered "assorted" nachos (I'm not sure what that meant), and a Mediterranean Plate with hummus, feta, katamala olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, pita bread, and tabouli.  I had an Imperial Porter.  We talked about the video game industry as it exists in Japan and the United States, as well as the evolution of various game genres in the two cultures.  For instance, have you ever heard of an RTS, shooter, or tactical combat game developed in Asia?  I haven't.  Apparently that half of the world just isn't into that sorta thing!

And now, here I am at home, writing to all you lovely p(eople || erson).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I find it very hard to believe that between Data East, Konami, Capcom, Sony, Nintendo, and others that you can't find well known examples for each of those video game categories.

DAJ said...

I haven't dug around, but I can't think of any off the top of my head, either! If one who's reasonably informed can't think of them, it stands to reason they were either bad, not popular, or not distributed in the US, I'd think! :)