Pages

Monday, December 3, 2007

Didn't know it was a devil town

We were planning on going to a showing of the first episode of Twin Peaks at the Brattle Theater tonight.  It was at 9:00 PM.  I was informed sometime in the afternoon that it was actually at 9:45 PM.  Everyone else decided to go anyway, I decided that was a tad too late for me on a night like this, when I expect to be in bed by 10:30 PM so I can hit the gym in the morning.  I ended up sticking around at work until 8:00 PM, working on some stuff that I couldn't do during company time because it's not high enough priority.  I needed to make consistent the portraits of our executive board that go on our website.  Right down, they're all from different photo shoots, so they have different lighting and different background colors.  I decided to fix the damn things and color correct them in Photoshop so that they'd all be identical.  Just the sort of work I love doing, for some reason.  It's more like fun than work, somehow.  

At 8:00 PM, J gave me a call and said that he, K, and his older sister just got to Harvard Square and were wandering around, looking for something to do to kill time.  They were going to go to the Starbucks on Church Street.  I told them to hit Dado instead.  The dude with his rasta-hat was there.  He undercharged me for a lemon scone: $1.18 instead of $2.25.  I even called him on it and said, "I thought those were more than that."  He replied, slowly, "... you don't want it?"  I let him ring it up and enjoyed it.  J ordered a hot chocolate.  It looked delicious.  

After a while, J's younger sister also showed up, and one of his older sister's friends.  We went to Charlie's Kitchen, because the latter was hungry.  I was apprehensive about the place, as I'd never been there before, and the only thing I'd ever heard about it was that The Hair Lady went there for breakfast sometime in the morning.  Usually during that time you want to get out of the place, as it apparently starts to smell.  I enunciated my apprehension, and J's older sister said, "What... because of all the hipsters?"  I was confused.  Needless to say, when we went inside I understood.  The place was full of pseudo-indie kids and people with dark glasses.  They were playing Radiohead's In Rainbows when we walked in, and the album looped twice.  The first song the juke-box played was The White Stripes' The Hardest Button To Button.  Tom Waits featured prominently in the track list thereafter.  J ordered waffle fries and I ate $1.00 worth.  J's older sister had brought a tupperware of vegetarian stir fry she made for their younger sister.  I tried some - it was great.  Sauce made with crushed red pepper, chunky peanut butter, and some other stuff I can't remember.  

After Charlie's, we left to go back to the Brattle Theater at 9:30 PM or so.  I took my leave of everyone at the door, though I don't think they realized I was going, and everyone but J and K had already gone inside by the time I waved.  I walked back to the T in the center of the Square, and the uber-modern turnstiles refused to read my Charlie Card the first two times.  When I got on the train, the doors behind me opened and closed roughly six times over the next couple minutes before the train finally pulled away.  

No comments: