Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Caught a cab, ran up a tab at 7th and Flower

Today I woke up late, and just didn't feel like getting out of bed.  My alarm was set for 6:30 AM.  The appointed time rolled around, the alarm did its thing, and I did mine, pushing "Accept" and rolling over in bed.  I accepted, just not what it thought.  At 8:05 AM or so, I sat up, stretched, and started getting ready.  I made it in by 9:30 AM or so, which is impressive (in one way or another) since I live a five minute T ride from the office.  

I continued working on my new Services project.  Am I supposed to talk about what it is?  I can't remember.  A lack of specification helps me remain vaguely anonymous, I suppose.  I think it's going to be a good time.  I'll be working on a much smaller team, which I'm not exactly looking forward to, but it should be a nice quick project.  

For lunch, M, J and I ordered Chinese from Yenching, the former and I went and picked it up.  Apparently they know him really well there; they brought us tea while we were waiting for our food (we got there early).   I got Spicy Tofu, which didn't taste spicy to me.  It was made with silken tofu, which never seems to hold flavor as well as the non-silken, more curd-like variety.  It was good anyway, so I'm pleased.  This seems to happen to me often these days - things that places claim are "spicy" really aren't so to my palate.  It seems I'm becoming immune.

After lunch, I decided to go get my headphones from home.  R sent me a link to a SeeqPod playlist she made full of Christmas songs.  Awesome.  I had to listen.  At 1:28 PM I left the office, determined to see how quickly I could get back home, get what I needed, and get back to the office.  Around 1:45 PM I got home, walked in the front door of the building (someone left it open), and... realized I didn't have my keys.  I left them in my bag, on my desk, in the office.  Swearing, laughing, and calling myself an idiot, I got back on the T and got back to the office by 1:55 PM or so.  Determined, at this point, to get what I wanted, I stayed a moment to make sure I had no meetings, and then ran back out of the office with my keys and got on the T again.  I finally made it back to the office at 2:26 PM.  Apparently, on an average trip, it takes me 58 minutes to make a round trip, provided I leave my keys behind once.

I stayed in the office until 6:45 PM or so, to make up for my mid-day errand.  I found out I have 13 vacation days left, which is absurd.  That means that, at the end of this week, I could leave the office and not return until 2008.  I get to carry over five of them until next year, which I'll do just so I don't leave my project completely in a lurch for the next three weeks (they'll only be in one for the two after next week).

At the gym today, they had reversed the mens and womens locker rooms.  Just for today.  "... What?" you say.  That's what I said at least.   Turns out that they were having problems with the sauna/showers in the womens' locker room, and it being that the vast majority of repair-persons are men, they deemed it prudent to make a switch for the day.  The women have nicer lockers, and an oddly shaped locker room (it's not rectangular, but sorta curved on one end).  Wacky.

No comments: